OBSERVATIONS ON XML FILES

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:17 pm

OBSERVATIONS ON XML FILES

Postby admin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:31 pm

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ON XML FILES

10/9/2015
It is by now my well considered opinion that the version of XML files I use cannot cope with more than two polyphonic voices per staff, and it presents the stems of more than two voices upwards or downwards arbitrarily, whereas when the part is written in two voices it gives voice 1 with stems upwards and voice 2 with stems downwards. From this fact it becomes impossible to present correctly guitar polyphonic parts in more than two voices.
As I write a lot of guitar parts in more than two voices I have decided to write them in correct concert pitch on a piano system using two staves so that at least I can utilize two voices per staff within the above outlined limitations.
The piano system is going to be given a correct guitar sound, and the correctly written guitar staff is going to be present only in the provided PDF file.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS

1. Some times serious timing problems appear in the combination of xml files & mp3 files for presentation of a scrolling score with the display usually running ahead of the sound being heard from about half a bar up to 14 bars (observed in some songs) with the result that the display reaches the end of a piece while this piece is still playing. This usually occurs when changes of tempi, ritardandi & fermate are included in the score, but sometimes also for other unfathomable reasons.

2. If a piece has more than a certain number of staves (more than 9-10, say) it cannot be viewed in its entirety on one screen and it needs zooming out a little but I don’t know yet how to adjust this.

3. Sometimes an xml file although prepared and uploaded properly refuses to be displayed in the scrolling score hosting page. It usualy gives some indication that the Sibelius 6 file from which the xml was extracted is unreliable and points out some inaccuracies (according to its logic) of the said file.
These "inaccuracies" always refer to the use of accidentals in a piece which make its file "unreliable".
In this way I have been told by this message that, for example, If I use G# as a written note in a key signature of A minor this makes my file "unreliable". (It really doesn’t like G# in particular) but also some other pitches sometimes.
Well, I cannot change my notational logic to accommodate this xml peculiarity, especially since it does not do it in all A minor pieces but only in some of them, and it is also amazing that it can cope with much more complex pieces using modulations, key signature changes, etc.
I therefore leave these pieces without the scrolling score option, cause I would not know what else to do anyway.

Sibelius 6 where these xml files are extracted from did not come originally with this option of extracting them, so I use a third party plug in which I have installed into the programme from a public domain site for this kind of work.
Extracting xml files from Sibelius 6 is at present tediously slow and very time-consuming. I hope that if I ever manage to upgrade to a later version of Sibelius, all these problems will improve.

Return to “SITE MAP (start here) - ΔΙΑΓΡΑΜΜΑ ΣΕΛΙΔΑΣ (αρχίστε εδώ)”




  Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron